Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Road Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

construct06

Structural
Jun 8, 2006
IE
I have a survey of an existing alignment.

I want to generate a design for an overlay on top of this existing survey. There is to be no cut.

Can anyone reccomend a suitable program/method for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it to be a plan view and elevation views and are you proficient with Autodesk ACAD?

im proficient with autocad, but i was looking more for a reccomendation of a road design package that could maybe do this...

Since you have an existing survey why dont you generate your own topography,boudaries,traverse lines,and profiles of center cut,shoulders drainageetc. with one of the ACAD version R14, 2000,2002 2004 and other more recent versions.
Sure it is time consuming but at least you will have a greater appreciation of your own work instead of relying on some software package.

Bentley now market Inroads for both Autocad and Microstation it will do exactly what you want and it has a GUI interface and commands ....
You can also get MX for autocad and it does what you want but it uses script files and you need to write a few yourself... personally I prefer the GUI driven Inroads.

AutoCAD also had Civil 3D, which is now what used to be the old Land Desktop.

We used it alot before we went to Microstation.

I love Civil 3D, 2009 is a great improvement over earlier versions and I hear not comparable to LDD. I detest Microstation/Geopak. Uugh. The most frustrating, non-intuitive package I've ever encountered. (And I've used HEC-1!)

There are several packages available now. If you already are familiar with AutoCAD your best bet would be to go with Civil 3D. You may also want to look into others like Carlson and Cadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back