Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Roadway Designer Wants to Know About Dry Utility Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydefan

Civil/Environmental
Dec 14, 2004
US
I work on a lot of public works roadway widening projects and need to learn more about dry utilities to help me know the impact of relocating things like cable line, transformers, electrical vaults, etc. Sometimes, I can't even identify what a particular above ground dry utility is and who owns it. I am looking for references either online or in a book that layout the basic entities (with pictures or details) that make up these underground and overhead dry utility systems (electrical, telephone, cable, and gas). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Raydefan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my experience, the best way to get answers to your questions it to start a relationship with the engineers that work for these shallow utility companies.

Their biggest headaches are caused by engineers who design improvements for roads, drainage, etc. but do not take into consideration the affects their design may have on the shallow utilities. Very often, these issues aren't discovered or handled until construction has started, making it much more difficult to address the issues. Because of this, they usually welcome guys like yourself asking them questions, and the earlier you get them involved in the design process, the more likely they will help you.

Also, from my experience, you will not find a book or manual that will address all of your questions, because most of these utility companies have different standards from region to region.

Good luck.

I am not sure about reference material, but here is how I would handle that.

First I would determine all the dry utility service providers for the area, electric, gas, and cable then contact them. There may be more than one for any given service.

Ask them who the contact is for coordinating new development and construction. Once you have that information, send each one a site plan with a brief letter asking them to identify whether they have existing infrastructure within your project boundary. Give yourself some time for thier response.

Once you have determined who has what, contact them again to get an understanding of how they coordinate new construction (new developments), or how they handle CIP projects like road widening and such.

Likely as not, if they have overhead infrastructure, they will want to bring it underground. What I have found is they usually have their own crews (or contractors that they hire) to perform the relocation work. The design of upgrades is usually done in house. They then will bill either the developer or municipality for those services.

Right off the bat, when you determine they have infrastructure in the project boundary, they should provide a cost estimate for the relocation or upgrade for you to report to your client.

Good luck. It is one of those things you should budget the coordination/PM time you will need to invest.

Raydefan

Utilities (or relocation thereof )continues to be a very frustrating and expensive endeavor.
Routinely gas, power, and communication lines are installed or relocated by the owner, with water and sewer sometimes done by others due to financial and other contraints.

There are companies around the U.S. whose sole purpose is locating, plotting, and describing Utilities. I would contact several in your region and visit with them about your needs. The fellows I have met are very good at what they do and I am sure they can be very helpful to you. Around here we call them S.U.E. Contractor's or Subsurface Utility Engineers. Just googling this should get you started.

Drumchaser

If there is a "one Call" or "call before you dig" service in your area...call that number and ask for the manager.
In most cases the underground people will also mark or identify above ground stuff. They can also get you the name and contact of the utility manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back