Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roark

Status
Not open for further replies.

mech_eng_p

Industrial
Mar 9, 2018
NL
Hi All,

I am looking for a formula to describe the stress in the centre of a circular plate, stiffened with a small pipe. Something like added section.
shaft_cover_hr2mm6.png

Roark formula 9(a), from table 11.2 is quite good if i compare the results with FEA, but that is just a flat circular plate.(without the ring...)

The ring stiffens the plate, so the plate will have less stresses at the centre.
Roark has something like underneath, but it doesn't describe the stress at the centre of the plate.
shaft_cover2_f5hfek.png

If I use Roark 9b here, the stresses are way off, compared to FEA.

Can somebody help me with a formula (roarks maybe?) describing the stress at the centre of the plate, where the plate is stiffened?

I am looking forward to hear from you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

how does this plate attach to "the rest of the world" ? I assume the plate is loaded by pressure ??

Why not assume a simply supported plate ?? diameter 180mm, or 180-t, or 180-2t ...

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

"Where can I get a copy of these Roark formulae?"

I'd look into Roark's references, for this problem probably timoshenko "plates and shells".

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back