Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Robot drops as soon as the motor brake is disengaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunT

Mechanical
May 29, 2005
US
I have already submitted this post in another forum. I apologize for repeating it here.

We are an equipment manufacturer. We are using 2 axis Linear transfer for pick and place of the product. The vertical axis has brake motor and we are controlling using a PLC. Whenever we are disengaging the brake, to start the vertical motion, the robot is free falling for 1/4" before the controller kicks in.

We were thinking that gravity compensation should be able to solve this jerk in the motion. But we are unable to solve the problem. These are following components we are using:

Motor: Mitsubishi - HFKP43BK
Amplifier: Mistubishi - MR-J3-40B1
PLC: Mitsubishi - Q02CPU

Any help to resolve the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sufficient to have the controller on. Should probably start to drive the motor in the direction you desire for a short period of time to develop motor torque. Then release the brake.

Are you certain this is not a *backlash* issue? I've seen a situation before where the coupling between motor & driven element was loose, allowed a few degrees of motion before engaging.

TygerDawg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back