Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Robots & Warfare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine

Military
Mar 11, 2004
US
Hey, back in the day people were experimenting with using blimps for aircraft carriers. With the tech going towards robots and remote operating systems, would it be a good idea to try it again?

VTOL on the remote controls systems? It would increase moblity. Carried on ships, or even mobile land based launch systems...

Orbital Drops?
Fired from artillary cannons for increased range?

The Mainer...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey What up I think that robotic engineering is cool because your experiment with robots. using robots would cost alot but in war it would be more effective.

This is obviously the answer to the "tank warfare" threadfrom a week or two ago.
Replacing "Gung Ho" humans with intelligent robots is definitely the way to go.
No heat of the battle bad decisions and caters for 24/7 battles.
I really like those spindly dudes from the last Star wars movie, they get my vote.

Sure... Just wait until the operating system crashes and the machine decides to run amuck

TTFN

That is a good reason why we shouldn't program 'command initiated movements' onto tactical overlay ai's.

The Mainer...

UAVs have been shot down in the past, and are likely to be shot down in the future. The fact is that it could have been, or could be human pilots, so the benefit is that human life has been spared at the expense of a costly bit of kit, but which is more valuable? I know what i would say.

The problems with roborts is the same as long distance warfare, there is no second though before killing. At close quarters you have to look into a man eye but on a TV screen you can not see the fear or conviction of the cause. It is the same having politicians that have never served as head of state, having never been shot at they do not know the cost of war.
Bring back muskets and get rid of roborts

Yes sure, but what if robots are only killing other robots? It's the same as having lawyers duke it out in courts, if you can't come to an agreeable solution than appoint arbitrary arbiters and agree to abide by their position.

And what if the robots decide that they don't want to play that way? Wasn't a movie just out about this eventuality? Not to mention 2001, Terminator 1,2,3, etc.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back