Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rock identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercycity

Geotechnical
Jun 3, 2011
BW
Dear friends,

I have come across the rock which i was try to identify and i am not sure if i am correct. I put the rock in volcanic group and i named it as a Basalt. The rock is dark with very fine grained and soapy texture which make me to think is not basalt. I have attached a photo of the rock. There is a proposal to establish a quarry which i suspect the rock is not very good as a roadstone.
Please anybody who has come across can help me i will appreciate.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are these the same sample?
Why are the sides so smooth?

It looks like basic granite, though:

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Dear IRstuff
The sample is from the same rock type. sample was taken from drilled cores.
The sample is very smooth along the fracture with soapy feelings.

regards

Dear friends,

I have try attach the rock specimens as the first was a little bit confused as background colour was like that one of granite but is concrete. My problem are those two dark rock specimens that I have attached again.

Regards,

check out the geologic map of the area, see what rock types are in the mapped formation and then proceed with some sort of ID, based on the geologic setting. It could be a metamorphic rock, like schist if you ask me, but without the location and mapping background it's just a piece of "leaverite." Leave 'er right there!

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

Dear friends'
Thank you very much for taking time to my thread.
The area has a very complex geology and the rocks of that area includes basalt, dolerite, diorite and dark to light grey granitic rocks. I concur with moe333 that the rock probably is basalt. I will take the rock for petrographic analysis and when i get the results i will put them here.

Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back