Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rocket pitch and yaw control question : is is decoupled from roll control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanyloMalyuta

Aerospace
Feb 5, 2015
CH
Hello,

I'm designing a controller for rocket Pitch and Yaw control (aim is for rocket to remain upright, so zero pitch and yaw angles). I'm having trouble developing the dynamic equations and can't find existing material corresponding to my needs elsewhere. I've got the following non-linear dynamic equations:

AVmB4xF.png

I'm trying to get a transfer function so I need to linearize these. This is where my problem comes in.

The actuator that I will implement will be unable to roll-stabilize the rocket so the rocket is free to spin, and I want pitch and yaw angles to remain 0==> ψ=0 and θ=0. The problem is then that if I linearize around an equilibrium position where roll angle φ=0 and roll rate P=0, then the linear set of equation that I get is:

XOzxfXF.png

These contain no information about roll! Can you confirm that effectively pitch and yaw control is decoupled roll control in rockets?

Best,

Danylo.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alphabet...

You might find these useful, this topic..

MIL-HDBK-762 DESIGN OF AERODYNAMICALLY STABILIZED FREE ROCKETS
AIAA ARC may have downloadable tech reports on [AIAA Journal, papers, etc] articles on Missile stability
AIAA Education Series

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion"]
o Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. [Picasso]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back