Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell software info please

Status
Not open for further replies.

panelman

Electrical
Jun 29, 2002
GB
one of our clients is moving from slc500 to contrologix which means we need to move from logix 500 to 5000

views and info please

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry I posted too soon. You'll find the software easy to use, and the transition will be pretty painless. I personally like tag based addressing which is similar to using symbols in RS500, you get a dropdown as you begin to enter a tagname. You can also set up your own tag structures.

wover98....care to expand?? why is different to 500??? I have used 500 quite a bit and 5000 just a little so i would be interested to know your opinion...

The initial set-up of 5000 is slightly more involved than 500, but after the tags are set-up, 5000 is much easier to use and troubleshoot. 5000 also gives the user much more flexibility and options.

We are migrating two of our PLC5/80C processors to control logix ... we have a lot of complex indirect addressing goin on. AB have convinced us they have the mother of all conversion tools(havnt seen it yet) that will do the job painlessly.
A couple of things a) i didnt know AB had an indirect conversion tool out(well one that works), has anyone seen or worked with it !!
The 5000 software looks good but is more complicated than 500 ... like everthing new in control system technology, it will take time to get used to ..
We are at implementation stage of RSMACC into our system, AB are on site at moment setting it up(of course they are singing its praises). Has anybody got experiance of this in there plant or experiance of setting it up ... or bad experiances ... god forbid

any feedback greatfully appreciated

We use RSMACC in one of our plants and will be porting others to it. It is very simple to use, its transparent to the user, you launch RSMACC and use the archive module to get the PLC program from the central repository. RSMACC can also track all changes made to a program, and e-mail selected recipents when changes are made. This put a quick stop to maintenence jumping out a switch without the proper paperwork. Our plan is to also use it to track changes made to robot and panelview programs as well, I don't know hopw thats going since I work at corporate. We set ours as recurrisive directories, which basically sets up the same folders on our laptops. We also use RSSQL to track downtime, repairs, poke-yoke status and who is running a particular tool.

As far as the conversion tool, do you mean converting RS500 to RS5000, or are you speaking about just concverting the indirect addressing portions? Are you using math to develop your pointer or index?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back