Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roll on deoderant balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaving

Industrial
Nov 20, 2001
SG
Can any body help me with the manufacturing method for producing roll on deoderant balls.

I found some information that said they were blow moulded. If this is the case how are the parison scars and split-lines removed.

Any information on process, tooling, secondary operations and part tolerances would be helpfull.

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know whether the balls on deodorant bottles are blow molded or not. However, the part/fusion lines could be removed by centerless grinding. If the balls can be solid, the entire ball could probably be made by centerless grinding. Check out website who specialize in this process. I am sure there must be others as well.
wlj

I don't know a lot on this but we use roll on deoderant balls that are hollow. Blow molded from PP. Tolerance can vary but typically can hold +/-0.002" diameter. I don't know the process exactly but there is a step to provide a smooth finish (possibly a tumbling machine with a particular grit on the wheels to smooth the finish). Hope it helps. Here is a question, what sources have you found for roll-on balls? I was asked this today and have only 1-2 references.

There are very few compaies actualy doing it here, it seems to be a bit of a licensed monopoly. However the info you gave me was pretty correct. Thanks for your reply.

Chaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back