Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Roll Stiffness

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beast

Automotive
Dec 4, 2019
IN
I have measured roll stiffness measured for few vehicles in K&C Machine & Tried to correlate to the axle / part stiffness.
It does not correlate to the rear torsion beam roll part stiffness, However it is correlatable in Front Stabi Dia/Span ratios.
Could some one explain why ?

Roll Stiffness Calculation is Based on
Roll Stiff = Roll Moment / Roll Angle
Roll Moment = Tread / Load Change Fz
Roll Angle = Tan-1 ( Change in Wheel center Z / Change in Wheel Center Y) * pi()/180

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes i do.
The System is a FWD Front Engine Vehicles with McPherson Strut + Coil over Torsion Beam Suspension system in Rear

Thanks in Advance

Please find the File i have uploaded it includes 8 vehicle data roll stiffness per unit load ploted
i concluded with the data that the red boxes are having stiffer front suspension & weaker rear beam stiffness.
However rear case i could not conclude, where the parts are actully stiffer than the blue ones.
Would like to understand where am i wrong.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7008f090-26a5-4d28-b6f4-1bd8aa055a9f&file=Roll_Stiffness_N=8.JPG
Beast said:
Stabi Bar Diameter & Span is considered.

I wasn't particularly questioning if you were considering sta-bar stiffness. More about how you were modeling the sta-bar contributions. Let's just say a sta-bar, or an axle in torsion pretending to be part of one, may not behave exactly the same as an axle's pair of suspension springs.

How are you accounting for geometric load transfer effects? A high enough geo RC would provide a zero-roll answer, but you'd still have the Fz load changes. Geo RC heights that are significantly different probably complicate the math a bit, or at least disallow simplifying assumptions.

On "Roll Moment = Tread / Load Change Fz", I'm having a units problem (length*force vs length/force). Perhaps you meant to type "Roll Moment = Tread * Load Change Fz"?

Sorry for all the edits. It's been a while since I tried tackling something similar.

Norm

Sorry, I still don't fully understand the situation.

You have 'K&C' test data on a real vehicle ? [Probably FWD if it has a twist axle].

You have a suspension model with representative values for tire and suspension bushings and springs with the correct descriptive units ?

You are adding to this conglomeration the roll stiffness value of the twist axle [Which probably has an additional roll bar within it ?]

Your base twist axle roll stiffness value is probably wrong if you did not model the twist axle cross beam correctly. The cross beam by itself (not including the extra roll bar) is actually 2 beams: one of them has warping characteristics due to its shear center location. A properly executed FEM would tell you this.

Otherwise provide the vehicle description. Depending where the "K&C data" came from, K&C might really stand for Kitchy and Crappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back