Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rolled Sheetmetal Part w/Holes 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stugots

Mechanical
Aug 11, 2005
US
I am helping a coworker and have a rolled sheetmetal part with cut holes in it. I can not dimension them in the flat pattern in a drawing. I can't select the holes in the flat view..."The selected entities could not be converted into a line or arc." is what I get. I've tried holding the "SHIFT" key down and no luck.

I understand that it is not making the hole axis perpendicular to the flat pattern plane so it is making the circle into segments. Is there a way around this?

On a side note: Solid Edge doesn't have a problem with this sort of thing because you are able to flatten sheetmetal by selecting either a face or "PLANE" for your flat and then blow holes in it and it forms the holes onto your bend when you suppress the flat. Am I missing something here? Please view the part model path below.

Stugots
Mechanical Designer
SW '06 SP5.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Step 4) Insert Bends, Select Fixed face, Click the Tick, Accept the "No Bends Found" message.

Step 5) Click the Sketch Bend icon, select face for sketch, sketch lines, exit sketch, select fixed face, Click the Tick.

[cheers]

Updraft said:
And since, like engAlright, we feed the flat pattern directly to our auto nesting software from SWX (no making of an intermediate DXF, thank you) we do not need to dimension the flat at all on the drawing.

What nesting software do you use?

dogarilla,

See my reply in your post "Nesting software". I've been in Singapore for a bit and am just now recuperating from the trip.

Stugots, we you able to get it to work using CBL's reply or any other efforts?

- - -Updraft

Updraft,

Yes, CBL's reply filled in the missing info in the "absolute best help file / tutorial of any software I (you) have seen. Guess really sometimes the help files are great if you already know how to do it. Just out of curiousity, what other 3D modeling software have you used? Personally I think SW sheetmetal has a way to go still.

Stugots
Mechanical Designer
SW '06 SP5.1
Missourian = "SHOW ME"

Stugots,

I'm from Missouri too - UMR '81 and '83.

I've used SWX since its inception and actually used its predecessor called DesignView from Premise. I've also used sheet metal in Pro/Excruciating, but SWX is much more intuitive.

Like anything, the training/exposure one has plays a big role in the success or ease of use one will have.

My advice to anyone that doesn't find what they are looking for in SWX help is to search again using a synonym or otherwise restating what it is you are looking. This is especially true when coming from another CAD system that uses different terminology for the same thing, i.e., Design Table in SWX = Family Table in Pro/E.

- - -Updraft

Updraft,
As we all know, each program has its strengths’ and weaknesses and personally I think Sheet metal is one of SW weaker points. Including SW this makes 7 different software programs I've used during my illustrious career. And personally, I prefer Pro/E simply for the fact that “I” (not the programmer) can control what the program does to my model. But Solid Edge still holds the #1 spot for me for intuitive sheet metal. But like any true Pro/E guys will tell you, “Everything else is a watered down housewives version of 3D!”…he he he

I guess I got a little defensive by your original statement of “The Best” and had visions and nightmares of the 100’s of times I’ve been given a similar speech by customer service or vendors.

Stugots
Mechanical Designer
SW '06 SP5.1
Missourian = "SHOW ME"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back