Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roller doors - wind pressure design

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowingengineer

Structural
Jun 18, 2009
AU
As everyone would be aware, the roller door code AS4505 has been update and referenced in the BCA for regions C & D.

This has ensured that every roller door supplier is now supplying with wind locks.

my questions is do you believe we need to design for full internal pressure or just external pressure to the building.

AS1170.2 still allows you to assume a dominant opening at this roller doors, base on the in-ability of the door, jamb or connections. AS4505 has no requirement for the supporting structure.

as such I would prefer if a dominant opening developed elsewhere in the building then my roller door failed rather than trying to design my roller door to take this loading

type of roller door I am discussing:

if you look at the load assumptions by the roller door manufacture, they assume +0.6, -0.3 internal coefficients.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RE - just looked over this code for the first time. To me it provides some pretty specific guidance for the loads to be applied to the supporting structure.

I wouldn't be too concerned about dominant openings and would just adopt the pressure provided in AS4505 (table 5.2) for your wind classification and the in-plane forces derived from appendix E. I think it would be hard to justify a smaller load.

Note that a dominant opening in this instance would be caused from flying debris (not the inability of the door and substructure to take the load).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back