Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roller Swaging 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtharp

Aerospace
Jul 25, 2007
US
I have a part that requires two bushings and a spherical bearing to be roller swaged into the body of the part. BAC5435 is the Boeing roller swaging spec but I don’t have access to it and can’t spec it out on my drawing. Therefore, I am looking for a MIL, AMS, AS, or other commercially available equivalent to BAC5435. Does anyone know of such a spec?

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

After reading through MIL-HDBK-1599, it doesn't really address what I need. Is there an AMS or other spec that covers roller swaging?

not much help, but i've never seen a spec for roller swaging sheet (as opposed to swaging fittings); always thought this was up to the operator to produce the shape you needed.

also a bit surprised that the FAA is making you use a spec. surely post-op inspection would show that the sheet hasn't been overly thinned ? is the part primary structure, or a fairing ? if "they" are forcing down this path, can they show you the conclusion ? (ie do they have a spec in mind ?)

yahoo turned up these guys ... ... maybe they can help

It's not a sheet. I am swaging two bushings and a roller bearing into a aluminum body. In order to get the part FAA certified they require full substantiation of the design. This includes the specs on any secondary ops used in the fabrication of the part. Besides, just telling the manufacturer to "roller swage" the bushings and bearing into the part leaves too much to chance. I need to nail it down a bit more than that. That is one of the big reasons why the FAA want me to substantiate the specs used. I need to prove to them that I can repeatibly manufacture this thing under our quality system.

so you're applying for a PMA ... scanning 1599 seems to tell you a bunch about how to install a bearing ... i guess part of your difficulty is designing the new part to be equivalent to the old one (reverse-engineering) ... if this is what you're doing, have you got an old part ? can you destructively test it (i mean you probably won't know the loads imposed by the airplane, so all you can do is make your part stronger than the original one).

mtharp,

A decade ago, when I worked at Boeing Canada, we manufactured a wide range of aircraft parts and assemblies. These included roller swaged assemblies of bearings per BAC 5435...but also line/ring staking of bearings.

As an MRB Engineer, the biggest snags were with the tolerances on the bearing bores, finishes and groove geometry, as this is what keeps the bearing secured inside the housing. When we reworked discrepant parts, we often performed a bearing retention "push-out" test, to satisfy the drawing/bearing load requirements.

Apart from MIL-HDBK-1599, there are no other publically available standards that I can suggest for roller swaging retention. However, many MS, NAS and AS standards will list the bearing static and dynamic load ratings, and some will describe how to perform quality acceptance tests.

Exercise caution if you are dealing with helicopter dynamic components, where the fatigue characteristics of components can be highly dependent on small deviations in quality...

Mtharp...

Take a look at NAS0331 Bearing Installation and Retention by Swaging or Staking

Also... If You can find a copy... refer to USAF T.O. 44B-1-2 GENERAL MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS - AIRFRAME ANTIFRICTION BEARINGS

Regards, Wil Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back