Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Romex Wire In Commercial Project 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneStepBehind

Structural
Sep 23, 2010
US
We were called in to help a customer that was in trouble with the State Fire Marshal. They have a Physical Therapy business and lease the space they are in. They are also affiliated with a local hospital. We have built all required fire walls and are complete with our portion of the work. The problem is there was Romex wire above a lay in ceiling. Our electrician has changed all the romex above the ceiling as directed by the inspector. The problem is where there is a transition between the junction box and the wall or top of studs. The electrician says that a small piece of romex can be visible between the wall and the junction box and the Fire Marshal says absolutely no romex can be visible. Who is right and where in the code can I find the answer? As is evident I am not an electrician.

thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A drawing might help

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

I don't intend to argue with him. The electrician is doing what he wants done. This is just curiosity because the electrical code is like greek to me. I can understand the IBC and the variations of it the different states use but I have trouble finding what I need in the electrical code. If you could tell me were it deals with Romex in a commercial building or above a lay-in ceiling that would help.

thanks.

334.12(A)(2) says this: "(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than
one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings."
If you can see it, it is exposed. If you set the junction box tight on top of the wall top plate, there will be no NM visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back