Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

roof beam deflection calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ypzhang

Structural
Jul 4, 2008
US
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the deflection calculation of the roof beam:

When we calculate the roof beam's deflection, should we use the snow load plus live load or snow load plus 0.5 live load?
(assume the snow load is bigger than the live load)

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Ping

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For all serviceability checks (including deflection) you should be using unfactored loads.

As for what snow load to apply, your code/standard should tell you this, but I would be shocked if it were anything other than:

G + Snow (at 25? 50? year return period)

The snow load will be less than ULS, which will be something like a 100 or longer return period value.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)
Working in New Zealand, thinking of my snow covered home...

It depends what your LL is. You typically wouldn't have any LL (or at most very little) on your roof when you have the design snow load on the roof.

It's a roof beam; Unless this is a roof for floor type activities, you shouldn't be considering any pedestrian live loading...

Bear in mind that snow is a live load.

Cheers,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)

Other than a teenager, who in their right mind would be walking around on a sloping roof with snow on it? Ok...I'll concede to politicians and lawyers too...

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

To be fair, it's also a matter of access, not just intent. And despite my personal level of detest for our hormone-fueled young'ins, I typically consider a reduced live load on top of snow if there is any possibility of a bunch of moronic teenagers getting out onto the surface...

Typically quite low; 0.25kPa range... More an access load for maintenance than a proper pedestrian live load.

Cheers,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)

Yes, Ss and Sr are both COMPONENTS of the total snow load back home... That doesn't really change the application, just how and how much you must compute.

Cheers,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back