Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Roof wind load on drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdxbob

Civil/Environmental
May 2, 2008
US
I am used to seeing plans that include the wind load resistance required of the components and cladding. Further this information is usually provided by the structural engineer and is given in psf. My current project's plans (beachside Florida) just say 150 mph wind. Shouldn't the structural engineer be the one to convert that to psf for each different area?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Florida Building Code requires component and cladding pressures to be specified on the drawings either in a tabular format or graphically on an elevation. Am not in the office right now and can't point to which section in the code.

Thanks for replies - I have asked and assume I will get an appropriate answer - well I will get an answer, I just hope a simple request will suffice.

slickdeals - I looked in the codes but have not found it yet - if you find it I'd appreciate hearing from you.

I'm the owners rep on this project, trying to get timely answers for the contractor from slow responding architect/professionals.

Section 1603.1.4 Wind Design Data:

The following information related to wind loads shall be shown, regardless of whether wind loads govern the design of the lateral force resisting system of the building:

5. Components and cladding. The design wind pressures in terms of psf (KN/m2) to be used for the design of exterior component and cladding materials not specifically designed by the registered design professional

I generally do a little key plan with the roof areas and higher pressure areas indicated as well as having the base design loads in my general notes.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back