Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Roofing Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

XR250

Structural
Jan 30, 2013
US
Anyone have any ideas about roofing for this? Sticks out 5 ft. from the building. I spit balled some 3/16" plate to the Arch.. Seems like a difficult analysis though as the curvature will give it stiffness. Can standard riblok roofing be bent to this shape supported on some purlins?
roof_iieoh6.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They want the roof itself to follow that profile? If so, then yeah I think you could get metal panel to conform to the curve, but it would only do it in the one orientation.

Often we provide these fancy bits as just parapet walls so they get the look they want from the exterior, but a flat roof behind it.

So the orientation would be the wrong way for drainage? (i.e. ribs running in the 5ft, direction)? I believe they want it curved inside as well so can't hide it in a parapet.

I know Epic Metals has some decking that can bend - up to a certain radius. I would still expect to see some kind of roofing system above the deck.

Correct it would be the wrong way for drainage in the orientation I'm envisioning. Which sure seems like a show stopper in that regard.

You can field bend the hard way but the radius has to be pretty large.

Some deck profiles can also be shop bent which would yield tighter radii. You'd probably want to make some phone calls before committing to that though.

Like EZ, I'd expect this to be roofed in which case the deck orientation is moot for drainage.

C01_iia8nv.png

Could you set this up to be standing seam? That curves well and is a pretty conventional choice for situations like this.

As long as you had some purlins spanning between the bent steel tube and the building wall at reasonable intervals, perhaps 2'-0" o/c, you should be able to have a steel roofing product bent to the radius you need. If VicWest operates in your area they could give you an idea of which of their profiles can be bent in the factory and shipped, and they will also confirm to which radius is achievable.
For attachment purposes, might be easier to install several layers of thin plywood onto the purlins first, then an underlay, then easier to attach the roofing sheets, flashings, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back