Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rooftop unit with service corridor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadeng

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2012
CA
Hello all, we are working on a healthcare project that involves numerous large rooftop units equipped with a common service corridor (see the enclosed picture for an example of the RTU and service corridor). These corridors are heated for service in the winter time. Units are accessed by roof only, there are no stairs the lead directly to the corridor of the unit.
I am wondering if these types of units would fall under the sprinkler exemption identified in NFPA 13 8.1.1(8), 2016 ed. "Sprinklers shall not be required to be installed within electrical equipment, mechanical
equipment, or air handling units not intended for occupancy."
Given that the majority of the unit material is either non-combustible or limited combustible the fire load is likely small. However, I can see these corridors getting used for an appreciable amount of storage (i.e filter boxes).
Appreciate any comments.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1ecaa789-0a8b-40ae-8708-93c045c3a6d0&file=Corridor_pic_2.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello cdafd, it depends. We have seen them installed as one unit and in other cases they have been installed in sections. It all comes from the rooftop manufacturer though.

My personal thoughts.

Is this on a roof and separated from other occupancies? Is this space used for sporadic maintenance from specialized personnel only? Does it have limited amounts of combustible materials incidentally and only during maintenance? If the answers are yes I would say no sprinklers.

To me the filters inside the AHUs which are to be exempt from sprinkler protection seems more combustible that the service space itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back