Status
Not open for further replies.

tcihvacff1

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2012
QA
Hi everybody,
Greetings of the day!
With reference to the subject I would like to request the experts in HVAC to share there experience with regard to the Room thermostat positioning.
I mean which is the ideal position for the Room thermostat?
Because I get confuse sometimes when I deal with Architects, they just bother about interior.

So please reflect your experience on this.
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To elaborate my question here I am providing with the details of the project I am dealing with..
Its a 17 Residential Apartment Buildings project wherein each BLDNG consists of 3B+G+4F (2 TYP FLOORS).
Each floor has 8 2BHK flats with Living/Dinning room connected with an open kitchen.
Whole BLDNG is cooled by chilled water FCUs.

So particularly for Living/dinning room I am very much bothered about the thermostat positioning.
Please share your experience.

I highly appreciate your comments on this.

In a space where the occupants spend much time.
In a location that is representative of the overall room temperature.
Not in a location where the sun shining through a window will warm it.
Not directly above, below or adjacent to a supply diffuser.

I try to place near the return air grille; provides a good reading of the temp of the air being returned to the FCU and average temperature of the zone.
In addition to keeping out of sun and supply air streams, you don't want it behind a door, bookshelf or other large piece of furniture. You mentioned this is for apartments, review the electrical/furniture plan drawings and avoid locations where heat sources such as televisions and computers will give inaccurate readings. Wouldn't put too close to an exterior door either, if door is left open, breezes or sun can affect the sensor's reading.
It will also need to fairly accessible to the tenant. If a wall is likely to have a couch against it, a short person or wheelchair bound person can have trouble reaching it.
Good luck.

Thermostats are rarely ever a simple mechanical liquid mercury device attached to a thermometer anymore. Even low-cost thermostats tend to be programmable devices capable of being the brains of your heating and air-conditioning system.

Instructions
Make a diagram of the floor plan of the house. Use this diagram to determine which doors will be the main and secondary entrances into the home. Because outside air is let into the house every time a door is opened, it will have the greatest short-term effect on the temperature of the area nearest to the door.

Use this information to select the best areas of the house to place the thermostat so air changes produced by traffic in and out of the main door will have a minimal effect on the thermostat's thermometer. If the thermostat continually reads the ambient air temperature as too cool, much of the house will stay too warm. The reverse is also true.

Measure the height of the ceiling. A thermostat should be placed at a height that best records the average temperature of the space where it is mounted. If it is too close to the floor, it will consistently read temperatures that are too cool. If it is too close to the ceiling, it will read temperatures that are too warm. With an eight-foot ceiling, place the thermostat about five feet up on the wall for the best results.

Locate the main cool-air return for the heating and air-conditioning system. If possible, the thermostat should be near the vent for this return. This placement will assure the air temperature around the thermostat is affected by the heating and cooling system only after most of the house has been properly heated or cooled. This will make the entire house stay about the same temperature as much as possible.

Thanks all for the relevant information!
It's helped me a lot. And I received Interior design drawings & furniture layouts from Architect & will position the thermostat accordingly by taking all your points into consideration.

Thanks all once again!

Depends on the application. I like putting them in the return air duct. If your designing for your own office, put it in the office of whomever is paying yoou or can fire you. If for military, the senior NCO or officer. If off a single yerminal unit for more than office, use a five degree dead band and give everyone a 3 degree slider t-stat. If for someone who is going to just bust your nads anyway, glue a dummy t-stat to their office wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back