Root Gap and Root Face range for AWS Welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeldWork

Mechanical
Mar 23, 2023
US
Hi all,

I just want a clarification for AWS D1.1 CJP welding. If I callout CJP Double bevel with Backgouge (TC-U5-GF) in design drawing for a T-Joint. The weld detail says the Root Face and Root Gap range from 0 to 1/8" for 45° groove angle.

My question is that can Root face and Root gap numbers be different or they need to be same for this CJP weld?

For Example, Can I call out weld with 1/8" Root face with 0" Root Gap or Vice Versa? OR they both have to be same like 0" and 0" or 1/8" and 1/8"?

Does this apply to all similar weld which gives the Range for Root Face and Root Gap?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming you quoted the requirement correctly, my interpretation is the same as yours: both can vary between the limits stated but do not necessarily need to be the same.

That said, why not just call for a CJP and let the fabricator pick the process?

Thank you for the reply. I normally call out the CJP weld in Tail but this client wants to know weld detail also. This also helps to answer my confusion about how the root face and gap works if you have range.

Have a good day.

WeldWork said:
My question is that can Root face and Root gap numbers be different or they need to be same for this CJP weld?
Yes, they can be different.

WeldWork said:
Does this apply to all similar weld which gives the Range for Root Face and Root Gap?
Yes, this applies to all similar welds.

Kingnero, I think it the management that wants the more weld info on the drawings and not the welder/fabricator who is going to work on assembly. I am sure the shop floor would have made the part as long as we called out CJP.

Thank you dauwerda for the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back