Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rotary gas compressors vanes metarial

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo65

Marine/Ocean
Nov 11, 2003
PK
Hi Friends.

I have two rotary vanes gas compressors running for gas turbine power plant. the gas inlet temprature is around 35 degree c in summer. maximum inter stage temprature is reaching 140 degree c. comressors are water cooled and two stge. presently we are using carbon fiber vanes of 6mm thick 50 mm wide and 15 inch lenth for ist stage and 8 inch lenth for hp stage. i would like to know if any other metarial can be used here as the carbon fiber vanes are very expensive and difficult to obtain. also it is to be noted that we had faced vanes siezure during 1st two years of operation which caused sever damage to the bearings and other parts of each stages. Manufacturrer claimed it was because of improper cooling. The gas is 90 % methane and compressor discrge pressur is 12 bar max. suction is 0.5 bar . if any one can help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello friends,

Why nobody is responding to me for finding vanes metarial for natural gas compressor. I found some thing but still thinking the ways to test it before using in compressor.

Awaiting help.

bye and happy new year

well, my swag is that this question would receive more exposure if in the "chemical plant design & operations" or "heat transfer & thermo engr" forum.

although this next statement will not answer your question and i'm not trying to 2nd guess the original design, but it seems to me that a rotary screw compressor would be more suited for this application.

now, as far as finding replacement parts, try investigating with companies listed in these websites:

good luck!
-pmover

Hi pmover,

Thanks for ur reply,

ur suggestion regarding the type of compressor is not very help full as we already have vane type which was cheaper and suitable for the flow we require. Any way many thanks for the adresses ,

Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back