Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rotating Vacuum Manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastertech

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2002
US
Hello,

I have a pick and place application in which a rotating piece goes down in order to pick some rubber parts (the parts have a hole on the top and they are picked by a pin that gets into that hole)The issue is that the body rotates in order to place the rubber on the other side, but the picking application is giving us problems as well as the place application. We are thinking about using vacuum to help the part get in proper position but we don't know if there are rotating manifolds (like slip rings in an electrical application) so that we don't lose vacuum when the body rotates. Can someone help me on that? Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the rotation is not too fast, couldn't you use just about any swivel fitting, then plumb to a manifold? I have done this on a rotating turet with vacuum cups for a pouch handling application.

Such an animal does exist, you just need a simple rotary joint. Assuming these parts are relative small in weight, you won't need a lot of vacuum pressure, and can probably get away using a pneumatic fitting.

Don't know how many heads you have but a really simple part that works both ways is SMC's p/n:IN-346-178

You can find more info at search under rotary joint.

Good Luck!

I used to work on high speed tobacco production machinery , and we used to use Carbon valves and transfers for the same job . These things are capable of working at high speeds and depression .Will advise when I recall the name of the manufacturer .

If commercially, available joints are not quite the ticket, it’s relatively easy to make your own rotary vacuum seal.

A labyrinthine seal should provide the features you are seeking. The labyrinthine seal essentially a vacuum cup with a plug mounted on the same shaft, the plug fits within the cup with a few thousandths wall clearance. If the wall of the plug are undercut with a series of parallel groves, preferably, U shaped, this will provide the labyrinthine vacuum seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back