Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rotation of parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpjd

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2009
IE
I have created and assembled various parts for a rotary system. On one end I have a part that can be rotated, and is connected by a shaft to another part. I can rotate one part, but the other parts do not rotate with it. While the parts have various assemlby relationships, I can't figure out how to create a rotational relationship, whereby rotating one part causes the other parts to rotate. Any guidance or tips welcome!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've got the rotation working using the MotionBuilder, but it doesn't seem to allow for a specific rotation angle configuration. I only want it to rotate through a certain angle. Haven't figured this part out yet, if it is actually possible!

You mention that you have two parts on the same shaft. For that instance I would use the planar align constraint to either match planar faces or if those aren't available, I would use the reference planes in each respective part to constraint them. If you also have other such as gears that mate so they rotate in opposite directions (like spur gears) the gear constraint should work for the assembly.

Kyle

Let's assume the part rotates around the shaft.
The shaft is added to Grounded Parts, the other to Moving Parts.
You will then need a Revolute joint between part and shaft.
Then in the joint properties Set the Motion Type to Displacement. (RMB on the joint > Properties)
Set the Function to Step.
Initial value 0
Final Value 90° (or whatever angle you want)
You can also set start and end time but leave those at 0 & 1 sec for now.
Click the green tick to apply the changes.
Now click simulate.
The part should rotate around the shaft.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

I the MotionBuilder Dialog I have all parts except 1 grounded. I can't figure out how to change the joint properties as suggested by BeachComber. Nothing happens when I right-click on a joint and I can't find any properties button either. Anyone know how to do this?

When you start MotionBuilder you should get a dialog asking if you want to create joints automatically.
I always say No and then define my own joints.
Is the part that isn't grounded in the list of moving parts?
Are there any joints in the list of joints?
If so you should be able to right click and then select Properties as I described.
You should also be able to see the joint on screen.
A revolute joint looks just like a hinge.
Please supply a screen shot then we can see what you have.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

In the MotionBuilder I am trying to get a revolute motion of 75 degrees. In the Motion tab I have the part Motion Type at Displacement. In the Simulation tab the simulation paramters are Duration 15, Number of Frames 15. When I click simulate, the rotation goes from 0 to 75 in 1 step. Then in the Animation tab I have Start 1,0 End 15,14 Step 1,1 Current 1,0
Using these parameters the animation still goes from 0 to 75 in 1 step. I want it to go 5 degrees in each step. Am I going about this the right way?

Solid Edge is doing my head in! I can't get the animation and simulation to match up. In the Animation tab of the IntelliMotionBulder, I have the following settings
Frame Time
Start 1 0
End 15 3
Step 1 0.3

Yet when I click Simulate, the simulation goes through all 15 frames, but the animation goes from start to finish in just 1 frame. In the Simulation tab I have Duration 3, Number of Frames 15. Is this a bug, or am I missing something here? Any insights welcome!

I would not use the Motion environment to do this.
Instead just use the gear assembly relationships along with a motor(s) to drive the assembly through its range of motion.
The motors have the ability to contstrain their movement to a specific angle or distance if that is necessary.

This workflow is far easier and much more flexible.
You have the ability to simulate just the motors in the regualr assembly environment.... or move into ERA and combine them with other animation techniques.

Hope that helps

Jon Sutcliffe / Solid Mastermind
The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

I have used the gear relationship which works fine so far. When I move the rotating part, it rotates on its axis, but also moves along its axis. I want to prevent any axial movement. Can this be achieved? If so how?

If you want to stop it moving along its axis, I would create a mate or planar align relationship between the part and somethin else that is fixed in the assembly. Use the reference planes if there is no appropriate faces to choose from.

The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

I have created two gear and two axial relationships which seems to have done the trick. Although I have a revolute motion on a single part, is there a way, other than in the MotionBuilder Simulation, to restrict the rotational movement to a certain direction and angle?

Hi rpjd, what version of Solid Edge are you using?

To restrict the movement to a certain direction or angle the easiest way is to not use the motion environment at all.
Instead place motors on the parts that need to be moved. This is done in the regular assembly environment. Also you can create gear relationships between other parts if they need to move as a result of the parts already being moved by the motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back