Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ROTation

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirumalai

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2003
IN
Hi all,
The DOF ROT in shell elements makes the node to rotate but i do not get the unit of that. If I have to rotate a disc at 5000rpm then what i have to do??? Any helps please...
Thanks, Thiru.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dear sir
the unit of DOF ROT is a Radian or Degree that depended what unit selected in Parameters>Angular units menu (in ANSYS 7.0).
the value 5000RPM is a Time depended value and should solve that in transition solver

In order to apply rotational velocity to a structure, see the OMEGA command:

OMEGA, OMEGX, OMEGY, OMEGZ, KSPIN

or, in the GUI, go to one of the following as appropriate:

Main Menu>Preprocessor>Loads>Define Loads>Apply>Structural>Other>Angular Velocity
Main Menu>Preprocessor>Loads>Define Loads>Delete>Structural>Other>Angular Velocity
Main Menu>Solution>Define Loads>Apply>Structural>Other>Angular Velocity
Main Menu>Solution>Define Loads>Delete>Structural>Other>Angular Velocity

As kiavash points out, be mindful of your units system.

-- drej --

Hi,
Thanks for the replies & drej, the angular velocity command looks appropriate if we are considering single structure (i.e. Single roller). If it is needed for 2 rollers rotating with contact between them, what has to be done? Is there any options for giving 2 velocities for different rollers???
Thanks, Thiru.

Firstly, place each roller in a separate component (using the "CM" command) - the rotational axes can be defined through each roller as two sets of coordinates given on the CMOMEGA command. Finally, use the the "CMOMEGA" command to apply rotational velocities to each.

-- drej --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back