Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rotations

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroengr

Student
Mar 14, 2024
US
I am designing the bearings for a railway bridge according to AREMA. I have been following AREMA Ch 15 but I am getting stuck on calculating the rotations. These are the variables I need to solve for but I am new at this so any help would be appreciated!
aL = Relative rotation of top and bottom surfaces of bearing about an axis perpendicular to the longitudinal
axis of the bridge—radians
aW = Relative rotation of top and bottom surfaces of bearing about an axis parallel to the longitudinal axis
of the bridge—radians

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

aL would be the rotation of the girders due to bending under load (change in slope of the bottom flange).

aW would be any torsional rotation of the girders at the bearing locations.

Are you doing the girder analysis by hand, or with beam analysis software?

If it's a simple span, aL can be calculated using the appropriate equation from this table:

e48b8ff39eb52666ff4ecd89a929495d_d0q9db.jpg

aW will be determined by the lateral/torsional restraint conditions.

Hi! I am doing the girder analysis by hand. Thank you I calculated the aL. Could you elaborate on determining aW by lateral/torsional restraint conditions? Thanks![pre][/pre]

You would need to account for any rotation due to twisting of the girders allowed by the diaphragms or cross frames (which is typically near zero if slip-critical connections are used).

You will also need to account for the out-of-level tolerance for the seat or masonry plate on the bottom. If the seat is allowed to be out of level by, say, 1/8" per foot, then you'll need to add 0.6 degrees of 'rotation' to account for the potential lack of parallelism between the bottom flange of the girder and the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back