Roughened grip area? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechanicalAnimal

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2007
HR
Hello...

I'm drawing up a pullup-bar for an exercise station machine, (22,5 mm thick, full steel bar) and am supposed to define a "rough" area on it for a tighter grip (you've all seen it on iron barbell bars, and many tools - wrenches, etc - I just don't know the proper term for this in English). How do I draw this in Catia?
Is there a way to apply different material colours on the same part? Thank you very much in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe the term you're describing is "knurling"

Like threaded features, knurled features typically should not be modeled in your 3D part because they take up too much file space and too much time to model.

One easy way to identify the knurled area is to change the color of just the face of the knurled area.

Thank you very much, jackk, and for the word, too!
I tried to define the colour of a single area in a part, however it didn't work - I am able to change colours for a whole part only... How do I change the colour of a certain area in a part?

Firstly, you may benefit from selecting features from the specificaiton tree, to be more "specific".
I have tried this to represent threads in 3D, and the easiest solution was to use a surface (Extrude circular profile in your case), then change the colour of the surface (again, selected in the Spec'n tree).
To build on this further, the limits of the Extruded surface could re-use parameters of the bar (Lim1 of a Pad, for example).
Hope this helps.

Animal,

Hold the cursor over the face you want to color, and it's edges should highlight. Right-click on this face, and use Properties + Graphic to change the color of just the face.

Another way is to make a sketch that describes the shape of the knurled area, and then make a Pad or Pocket with a small length (.001). Then you can change the color of the Pad (or Pocket) by selecting it from the tree.

You can also define custom textures through the Material properties. You would, of course, have to make the knurled section a separate body, but if you really needed the representation, this would be a minor inconvenience.

FYI - under "construction", "grate" or "no skid" may be viable options for visually representing a knurl.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back