Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RS-232 Serial Port for PLC/HMI/Drive Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MustangDan

Electrical
Apr 2, 2003
US
My laptop doesn't have a serial communication port. Now, I would like to use it to program various industrial staples like PLC's, HMI's, AC/DC/Servo Drives. I believe my best choice to be a Serial RS-232 PCMCIA Card, but I am also finding various USB to RS-232 converters. One of my biggest concerns is the compatability of ANY serial adapter I buy with WindowsXP.

The only serial RS-232 PCMCIA Card that I was able to find, that was specifically designed to be compatible with WinXP is "Brainboxes" out of the UK. US sales support is somewhat limited on these, and pricey.

Anyone already using Windows XP and some type of "add on" serial port for programming, with success? Opinions on advantages/disadvantages of PCMCIA vs. USB type? Obviously, purchase price is a major influence, also.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use a USB converter from Keyspan. The one thing you have to really look for is that the converter draws power from the USB port. There are some unpowered USB to Serial Convertors that don't work with some PLC's/controllers/whatever because they don't supply their own power for their serial ports (they are expecting to get the power from the connected PC). These powered USB ports are more expensive than they unpowered units but are definitely worth it.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back