Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RS232 to Ethernet Convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagarajh

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2003
US
I have a PLC with RS-232 output. My customer does not want to use a laptop to download data from the PLC. He wants to use ethernet connection and download remotely. Are there RS-232 to ethernet convertors available for this kind of application?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B&B has industrial terminal servers that are DIN rail mountable and +24VDC.

Lantronix also has a line of industrial terminal servers.

I have used these and the Digi, and they are all on a fairly even plane. I prefer the devices that are DIN rail mountable and +24 VDC because they can more easily integrate into the same cabinet as the PLC and use the same power supply

I have used the Lantronix units for several applications, PLC, Traffic Detection and Video Switch control. In all applications I have found them to be quite good, easy to set up and quite transparent. The applications have also been through remote dial up (I'm a dinasaur!) and worked seemlessly.

Mark Hutton

Do you have the model number of the unit? All I need is one port on RS-232 DB-9 Male converted to ethernet. I need to be able to assign IP address for the convertor.

This is the DIN rail mounted Lantronix terminal server. It has an RJ45 interface, but you can get a RJ45 to DB9 converter easily. This would be more in line with the industrial environment.
Here is a single port model

Try the Precidia iPocket, it is small, inexpensive, and works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back