Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RT Before or After PWHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBH

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2003
US
Does ASME Section VIII specify if RT is to be performed before or after PWHT. I have searched and have not found information supporting either.

Thanks for your input, I would like the code reference to your response.

WBH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

code....either way
if customer does not have any specs contrary...we do it before.

I the client wants it after pwht per spec....we do it before and after

Why would you PWHT before RT? If it fails RT you will have to PWHT again after you make the repair. Is there something I'm missing?

Some USERS require all NDE to be done AFTER PWHT. It's a written law in the specification.

Smart fabricators do all NDE before PWHT and then again after PWHT to meet specs.

Done every day all around the world.

RT is a lot cheaper than a PWHT.

Our specs call for RT prior to PWHT to detect volumetric defects unless it is a machine or MIG weld where we also require UT prior to PWHT. After PWHT we normally do UT checks to detect any cracking and usually do a few hardness checks. The hardness checks are just a test to verify that there were no material mix ups. The hardness checks have been mostly eliminated due to better PMI equipment.

In my 42 years I've never seen any problems with P-1 material during and after PWHT.

syd

most HF services and hydrogen and Wet Sour services now require nde after PWHT.

we normally UT before (for or protection) and RT after

Cat D joints are UT before and after.

all P-1 material...yes a pain but never a problem

As said above by weldtek , RT shall be done after PWHT for high alloy steels per UHA-33. This is because a delayed cracking or post heat treatment cracking may happened in or adjacent to welds after PWHT. This is not applicable to UCS steels. Common sense: you always need to do RT before PWHT to repair defects if any. Section VIII Div. 1 does not require RT after PWHT for carbon or low alloy steels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back