RT Film Stainless steels 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixxerxxre

Nuclear
Apr 3, 2014
FR
hello there,

anyone who knows where I can find some images of radio film with a defect of root welding called " rochage " in french and " sugaring " or oxidation in english ?
is this type of defect easy to interpret on RT Films ?

GTAW of stainless steel tubes butt weld and full penetration and inadequately protected by gas backing...

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sixxerxxre,
Not sure where to find - you could try the Agfa site, I remember a few years ago they had reference films of known defects.
Oxidation is generally very easy to see on the radiograph - unfortunately discolouration (especially for DSS & SDSS) cannot be seen on the radiograph.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
DD

Gross oxidation "sugaring" in the root is readily detectable with RT. It is noted that "sugaring" is not addressed as a rejectable dicontinuity in ASME Codes. I would suggest that you make a test weld with sugaring and x-ray it to produce your own film for future reference.

Having done RT, you Nuke guys will find it very hard to image. It requires very fine-grain film, and at least a 16" source-to-film distance [2-ft is much better], and a moderate wall thickness. With jumbo-wall pipe, the thickness moves the root 2 to 3" away from the film. This gives excellent definition of the cap and poor definition of the weld. Further, stainless gives some X-ray diffraction lines using a gamma source, and a 'carnival' of diffraction lines using an X-ray tube source.

thanks to all
not found yet, as suggested by weldstan, they should produce an oxidized coupon and perform a RT shot to get a reference sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back