Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RT for welding pipe to flange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DekDee - "How do you RT a fillet weld?"

That was the purpose of my question. But if it were a butt weld, he would be using a 30 inch dia RFWN, and I didn't want to make that assumption.

Are you working to a CODE? If you are strictly working to ASME Sec VIII D1 for a pressure vessel, then Refer to Fig UW-3 and UW-12. If you have a slip-on flange it is a Cat C and RT is not applicable (not required) even if the whole vessel calls out for a degree of examination. If you need to do RT (customer or service driven) then UT can probably be substituted, but you need to look at your situation if a slip-on would even be allowed.

racookpe,
My apologies.

weldstan,
Understood, thank you.

mohammedhassanmido,
I am lost for words !!! (I have a few but might get in trouble)

Slip-on flange should not require RT or UT because of the geometry being unfavourable to both. Surface crack detection (MPI for carbon steel, penetrant for stainless) shouls suffice.

If RT is not possible on a weld, you might want to check if TOFD (Time-of-Flight Diffraction) can help. This is a type of ultrasonic testing, but you can visualize the defects and also "around the corner".

OSIRIS7,
It is still a fillet weld (or two of them)- TOFD or manual UT is still pretty much useless on a fillet weld.
What are you actually looking for in your UT scan ?
Weldstan described it perfectly !
Regards,
DD

OSIRIS7,
Whereas slip on flanges are used in low pressure applications and the fillet welds are likely small, TOFD will not provide any valuable information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back