Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RT of category D butt welds per UW-11(a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaskQC

Industrial
Feb 16, 2007
CA
Hello. I am wonder what the weld geometry of a Cat. D butt weld would be? Would this be considered a inserted plate for a forged nozzle (oval or square with rounded corners)or a beveled circular opening for a full penetration nozzle weld that would have a bevel on one side and the nozzle neck on the other? I find it hard to RT the latter discription and would like some claification.

Thank you in advance

Todd Mclean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Category D butt weld would be like those in Fig. UW-16.1 sketches (f-1) through (f-4). The rest of the sketches in Fig. UW-16.1 are corner welds.

Hi Folks,

As stated in UW11 (a), the FULL RT is specifed for different applications, however, I have some confusion regarding the nozzle. If specified Full RT, does that mean only for vessel shell and head, or should we applied to the BW on nozzles larger than NPS 10", like Category-A long seams and Category-C nozzle neck to flange seams, especially for those large connections like manways?

UW11(a)(1), (3) only applies to shell and head.
UW11(a)(2), (4)

Thanks in advance,

Sorry, wrong click and not finished yet.

UW11(a)(2),(4) and (5b) are related to BW on nozzles.

So I think if FULL RT (specially RT-1) is specified, BW on large nozzles shall be fully RT.

Comments?

Thanks, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back