Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rubber coating for tumbler

Status
Not open for further replies.

tladams

Industrial
Oct 20, 2008
US
I am looking for a material or company that will coat the inside of some large steel tumblers that are used to tumble injection molded parts.

The materials used to coat pickup truck boxes are to hard (not flexible enough)and will cause damage to the parts.

Two of our current tumblers have a 1/4" thick material on them but this material is beginning to wear out. It has begun to de-laminate form the steel walls of the tumblers. I do not know the durometer of the current coatings.

Thank you for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The tumblers are 4 ft wide and about 3 ft in diameter. constructed from steel plates they have 6 sides, one of which is the door.
We have several others that are only 3 ft wide but are about 4 feet in diameter.

Excuse me but I forgot about the in house thing.

We could ship them out but the lead time is important as we can not be with out the tumblers for too long as we have 8 tumblers and 11 injection molders.

Must this process use a sprayed-on material or could you purchase sheets, cut to size and glue?
Are your parts at ambient temp or have they been run through a cryogenic tank before tumbling? Might make a big diffenence in the liner material and adhesive.

Griffy

The process does not need tobe sprayed on and the idea of cutting sheets and glueing them would work. I have tried to glue the current lining in place with a glue designed for the application and we have had very limited success.

The parts are at ambient temperature.

Do you have a suggestion for the type of rubber and adheasive.

Thank you

The mineral processing industry is using extensively the rubber lining, all sorts of hardness, including the relative soft one you'd need. However, it's not rocket science, if you're a bit of handy man, you can do it yourself, just read a bit the literature below (or any equivalent standards);-

BS 6374 Part 5 Lining of Equipment with Polymeric Materials for the Process Industry
ASTM D429 Standard Testing Method for Rubber Properties - Adhesion to Rigid Substrates
RP-01-88 Recommended Practice for discontinuity (holiday) testing of Protective Coatings.
RP-02-87 Field measurement of Surface profiles using Replica Tape

T'were me, I'd contact one of three companies: Locktite, Devcon, or 3M for their advice on adhesives. I suspect that the key is going to be cleaning the base metal for a good bond and these guys should be able to spell out the requirements very well.
The process you are doing is similar to "lagging", covering a pulley or drive drum with rubber and we used adhesives to bond the rubber to the metal, generally in a spiral. Most of my experience has been with Locktite and 3M. They usually cost a little more but the tech service (read "how to get the job done") more than made up for it.

Griffy

Thank you for the information. I have tried the Devcon material. Maybe my maintenance techs did not do a good job of preparation as the material is not sticking very well. Trying to rush the job. So I believe that I will start over and more clearly dictate how the base material is to be prepared.

Thank you all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back