Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rubber Hose and PVC pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

prmmel

Civil/Environmental
Oct 17, 2005
US
I have a proeject with about 4000 linear feet of 3" conduits that my client wants to pull the hose through the conduit as the conduit is laid in the ground vs. completing the piping project and pulling the hose later. There contention is that 2-3 of the runs are 300-400 feet each and it will be too difficult to pull the hoses in the pipe after the pipe is installed becasue there are 3 or 4 90s in the runs.

The realistic fact is that they think they are saving time by snaking as they are going....Messy and just a poor application in my opinion.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated. The pipe is sch 40 PVC with electrical sweeping elbows. Each pipe will contain (1) 3/4" OD hose and (1) 1" OD hose. Quite a lot of room.

My concerns:
Getting PVC glue on the hose
dirt on the hose which will cause problems later when they need to be replaced.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pulling sounds feasible to me. You might need some of the goo that electricians use to make wires slippery. Talk to an electrician about it.

... Well, depending on the hose. If the exterior is 'sticky', like plasticized PVC, it may be hard to pull. Rubber exterior should be okay.

About building the pipe around the hose: The PVC cement at least sets up quickly, so success is a workmanship/ cleanliness issue.

That's a godawful amount of hose, both to buy and to pump something through. What's the something going through the hoses?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

The something is petroleum contaminated water. I started as an electrician 20+ years ago and we have no issues with the pulls....I am just very concerned/ticked that the client thinks that snaking through as the pipe is laid is a good idea. It leaves room for major issues down the road.

What's their plan for replacing the hoses when they age and crack?

Let's hope they take out their checkbook, and call you..

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

That was part of my concern...down the road? I think that if they use the proper installation protocol and complete the piping install, blow out the lines and then pull the hose with proper lube, then they will be fine.

I'm guessing maybe you could work up a cost estimate for eventual replacement of the hoses, with two scenarios; one if they do it your way now, one if they do it their way and things go as you expect. Just to put things in perspective.

Honestly, I don't know if that will do any good. I'm facing a problem right now with a decision maker who just doesn't trust _any_ engineer. ... so no amount of analysis is going to sway him.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back