Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rubber Hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

meca

Structural
Jul 28, 2000
US
Does anyone have any experience with the use of Rubber Hose in refined product service (i.e. gasoline, jet fuel, etc.). Intuitively it seems like a bad idea to me, but I was curious to see what others have to say.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes Rubber hose is not normally suitable. Its now replaced by Composite hose for this applications.

If you need more details contact umamagesh@eth.net

We use rubber hose in oil services that contain bitumen and naphtha. The spec we normally go for is a nitrile that is resistant to the naphtha. The temperatures are relatively low - less than 200 degrees F.

We use hose for wear resistance in addition to flexibility. Inspecting hose for wear is difficult, hard to measure with calipers the remaining wall. Most companies will now provide you with a wire buried spirally a certain depth into the rubber. Two ends of the wire stick out, and you can test the continuity. if there is no continuity, then you have worn out through the wire. You can also get colored layers that will indicate how far you have worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back