Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rubber injection molding questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2010
Currently I run a six hundred ton rubber injection molding press. Mold has six cavities.

How do I go about calculating the tonnage required for a given mold with rubber? Is it the same "projected area" calculation that thermoplastic molding uses? Or are there additional factors I need to be aware of.

Ultimate goal is to refurbish some of our "expired" cavities by re-plating them, re-polishing them and building a new frame to house them. We do not want another 600 ton press, we are thinking 200 or 400 ton.

Ideal situation would be to find out 1 cavity = 100 tons for our application because then we could acquire a new press on the cheap.

----
BFL Dreamworks
"If we don't have an answer we'll get one"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GPB,

I've always used the area at the parting line, which seems to work. We've never independently verified the internal mold pressure, though.

Btrueblood:

Thank you for your help. I suppose if it works it works, eh? :D

I tracked down a few good books on the subject, we'll see what they say.

----
BFL Dreamworks

GPB,

Let me know what the book says, it's one of those questions I've asked several different rubber mold shops, and can't get a firm answer. I can see where for transfer and compression molds the answer is only pertinent to the mold designer (me); but for injection molding it would start to affect enough different pieces of equipment that it would become important...

I know thermoplastic injection molding inside and out. Rubber... is totally different in many respects. In fact I think they gave it certain properties just to piss me off. I mean... making the feed-stock warmer actually DECREASES the flowy-ness (increases viscosity). And don't get me started on this rapid-onset curing induced by injecting it TOO FAST. Sheesh.

*laugh*

Seriously it's always great to learn new skills, I'm having a ball. So long as the scrap stays below .5 percent I'm free to experiment.

----
BFL Dreamworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back