Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rubber modified pavement

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC

Geotechnical
Feb 1, 1999
US
We are preparing for a road reconstruction project utilizing various recycled scrap tire products (devulcanized and crumb rubber and tire shreds) The pavement for the road will consist of 1.5 inches of hot mix asphalt containing devulcanized rubber over 1.5 inches of cold mix containing crumb rubber. We have not worked with either material previously and I am trying to pull together the pavement specs. If anyone has any experience with these materials or knows of anyone who may be able to help, I would appreciate any info.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

worked with it before. temp of mix is crucial to keeping rubber from segegrating mix..i believe the cold mix has to cure before<br>
placing the hot mix . my question would be what holds the cold mix together. this method is used quite frequently in europe.

Thank you for your reply. We are in the process of sending the specs out. I think we have it nailed down, but thank you.

Rubberduck,<br>
I'd be gald to share what we have learned. Maybe you better wait till we see if our pavement works first :)<br>
As we get some results, I'll post them.<br>
<br>
And thank you to everyone else who has posted as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back