Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rubber selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guardz

Marine/Ocean
Jul 23, 2007
US
I'll preface this post with the fact that I know nothing about the subject. I do however know that I can make a cool product, but have no idea where to start when it comes to production.

Qualities that I need:

Durable (product will be used as a protective bumper so to speak)
Slightly softer than a pencil eraser, but much more flexible and non breakable.
Maintains its form in all conditions
Not super flexible, but gives enough to absorb an impact from a 4 foot fall protecting an object that weighs 12 pounds or so.
Resistant to sunlight
resistant to oils in sunscreen
non shrinking when heated or cooled.
able to withstand temps from -30 to 180 degrees F (basically withstand cold winters and also be able to survive in a closed car in 110+ deg air temps. Prob 140-160 in the car)
Able to repel water
Able to withstand saltwater
I would like a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch thickness. (Im guessing I obtain this based on the mold.)

Do you need to know anything else about the criteria?

Are there any 2 part (A B) rubbers that would fit these guidlines? I would like to experament with a few to see if they fit my application. I'd like to be able to mess around with it in my garage, without spending thousands on machining, molding, and whatever else it takes.

Closest thing I can think of that resembles the type of rubber that I'm looking for is something like those mat's they put on kitchen floors in restaraunts with the circles in them...you know what I'm talking about? They are kinda squishy, but extremely durable.

I'll probably design a one size fits all, but is there a material that would fit these requirements that can be custom molded by the end user with a microwave or hair dryer to fit their specific design?

How do people ussually select the material they use? Does a manufacture send out samples? How do I find one in Phoenix AZ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need some direction...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you would like to see a materials guide. Go to This is the company I work for and we have put together a pretty good guide describing most rubber polymers as the exist today.

By reading your post, I think your looking for a silicone material. Probably around 40 duro.

Hope some of this help

Aaron Hall
Engineering Manager
Ashtabula Rubber Products

Thanks Dakota,

How much $ would it take to have a mold designed and machined? The part that I'm making is about 5"x13"x3"

Any ballpark figures would at least give me an idea.

Not knowing the geometry of your design this quote is going to be a guess.

I would expect to pay around $3500 for a mold and 10 part.

Hope some of this helps.

If you would like, email me at ahall@ashtabularubber.com

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back