Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rubber sping and bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmboy11

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2010
CA
Hi, I'm doing some research for a new product, similar to a suspension system. I need to know how rubber breaks down and what effect that would have on a rubber spring and bushings. I'm new to using rubber in design so any help that you could provide about rubber springs and bushings, or any information about rubber would be great.

Thanks

Wynn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wynn

Before anyone will be able to address your question, a few more specifics will need to be known.

What type of rubber material are you looking to use?

If your not sure about the material, it would be easier for us to suggest a material if we know what type of an environment it will be exposed to

What temperatures will it be used at?
Is there any exposure to specific chemicals? (lubricants, hydraulic oils)
Will the part be exposed to an abrasive environment?

With some more basic information about the application or the rubber material you are looking to use, it will be easier to explain how the rubber would break down in use.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Nick

Nick Kuzmick
Timco Rubber Products
Cleveland OH

Nick

The temperature range that the rubber spring will be used in is between -25°C and 50°c. The rubber may come in contact with hydraulic oil, and other lubricants. The spring will be used in an agricultural application. It will also be used under high cyclic stress conditions, and it will have a constant "preload" applied throughout the life of the spring.
I hope this is all the information you need.

Thanks,

Wynn

Considering your application and the temperatures/chemical exposure, you might want to look into a polyurethane compound.

Polyurethanes are unique because they provide the elasticity of rubber combined with the toughness and durability of metal. They also provide the improved abrasion and chemical resistances that you are looking for.

Compared to traditional rubbers, polyurethane also has better load bearing capacity which seems to be of importance to your specific application

I've attached the below chart that summarizes some of the mechanical and compression properties of PU compounds. I hope this helps

polyuch2.jpg

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions, Good Luck!

Nick

Nick Kuzmick
Timco Rubber Products
Cleveland OH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back