Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rules commonly used to install nuts & bolts correctly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuakerT

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2003
US
I realize this may sound elementary. is there any documentation to support how we fasten a nut and bolt together? how many threads should be exposed at the end of the nut?

how many threads in a blind hole should have contact with the treads of a bolt?

I am talking about pressures that exceed 3000 psi.

I am looking for a rule of thumb that would apply only if the correct grade of bolt has been selected.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

QuakerT
Please give a little more information as to what your are trying to clamp or fasten. A pressure boundary on 3000# system usually requires more than generalized suggestions. Does this assembly come under a jurisdictional code or is it an application like hydraulic lines.

The thread that CWIC refers to mainly is for A325 bolts. Though some of suggestions apply to other bolts A325 bolts are not used at pressure boundaries.

A good reference book on bolts and bolting is:

An Introduction to the Design & Behavior of Bolted Joints by Bickford

This is a very good book though expensive (150 USD new). I have seen used ones.

Quaker T

You might want to check out and check out the Technical section and the continuation of the technical page. I post as much free literature that I can find to assist engineers with fasteners and stainless steel. Before you pay for specific information, you might check out what is available free. For instance we have a link where you can download the book "Guide to Design Criteria for Bolted and Riveted Joints" /2nd Edition /by Kulak, Fisher, and Struik free on the internet.

Have to agree Paskenell. This is an excellant source of information as he states. Though books are nice, I think this site covers it all.
I wonder how I missed this site when I was buying a lot of Marine Fasteners.

Paskenell kept up the good work.

QuakerT if you don't find the information you need on this site or need further help let evryone know.

The AISC gives some documentation, though it does not go in depth. The general rule I use, which I believe is in the AISC Manual Vol. II, is the width of the nut across the faces needs to be equal to the diameter of the bolt. If this is met, then the threads on the nut must at least be flush with the top of the nut; "stick-through" is not required. This may or may not change depending on your bolt strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back