Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RULES OF THUMB FOR FPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_safety

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2023
MA
Sorry, this may not be the appropriate place to post this, as this field is so niche, i couldn't find better place than this, so my question, as follows, what are the rules of thumb that you acquired during your experience as fire protection engineer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not a FPE, but been around a few,

So to help answer your question

Are you a FPE??? Or in school to be one,,, or other????

I am not an FPE but have been designing fire sprinklers for nearly 50 years now.

My first NFPA #13 was 1974.

There are no rules of thumb other than to follow the standards and codes.

From an insurance point of view…..36 years in the business working with FPE on a regular bases on projects across the USA.

1. Following the codes you may not meet all AHJ requirements ie insurance requirements which may be above the minimum code requirements.

2. Ask who are the AHJ on the project and reach out to them for input you can have several find out upfront to make things easier for you.

3. If a large company they may have corporate guidelines. Not all states, counties etc. have code officials particularly in rural areas.

4. In large multi location companies always find what the other facilities have and who can you call, why create the wheel over again?

5. An insurance company maybe involved but the client/company may have a $5,10, 25 million deductible ie they pay $ one, they will have greater interest ie protect the bottom line.

Hope this helps.

Tom

FPE’s I have run into seem to specialize in a few areas.

Fire sprinkler design

Haz mat

Fire alarm

Clean agent

Commissioning

Etc

Learn your craft, try not to know a little about a lot

Once you get your FPE, keep on going to training classes. Codes and technology changes fast.

Good luck, great field to be in!!! You see alot of interesting things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back