Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rules to distance between baffles? - Tubular Heat Exchangers - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

feragao36

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2005
BR
I have heard about some rules to adjust the distance between baffles in heat exchangers. One manufacturer said to me that they use one third of the shell external diameter. I know that the flow velocity and pressure drop are main and important to be consider. Someone know practical rules to facility it or if is right to use the rule of this manufacturer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd recommend reading Don't let baffling baffle you by R. Mukherjee, in the CEP issue of April 1996 under the general heading: Energy Transfer/Conversion.

If you have enough patience, the same magazine in its issue of February 1998 published another article by the same author titled: Effectively design shell-and-tube exchangers, under the general heading: Shell-and-tube heat exchangers, worth reading.

Dear 25362,

Can you supply with me these articles? Otherwise what must do to acquire? Excuse me the mistakes in the writing. I am learning.... I speak portuguese. You can correct me. Don´t make ceremony. It will be one more help.

Cordially.

feragao36

I don't have access to the articles, but my input to the thread would be that vibration should be the limiting factor regarding baffle spacing. With vibration as the limit, flow velocity and pressure drop will take care of itself.

Speaking frankly, this thread is the first time I have ever heard of baffle spacing as a function of shell diameter. But, I am always learning.

Muito bem, ate logo

rmw

To feragao36. Thanks for your feedback. You may send by fax some pages as you suggest. Our fax number should be printed on the pages you received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back