Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rumor of SW kernel expiring in 2012 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CADShark

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2003
US
I recently received a disturbing, well more like annoying, phone call from a PTC rep. They were trying to tell me that the SW kernel license from Seimens will expire in 2012 and cause SW to switch everyone over to Catia. Or, as he put it, switch to Creo from PTC.
I had to contain my laughter and let this poor schmuck finish his speech. I guess he doesn't truly realize how BIG SW really is and it would be a idiotic move on SW side to have EVERY user switch to Catia.

Anybody else here this bull from other sources?

If first you do succeed...try something harder.

Blair H.
SW 2009 sp3.0, HP x4600
3.16ghz Intel Core2 Duo,
3.0 GB ram,
Nvidia Quadro FX 1700
Space Pilot Pro...they ROCK!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

[afro2]

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2010 SP 5.0
Dell T5500 Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
Xeon CPU 2.53 GHz 6.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro 4000 2 GB
3D Connexion-SpaceExplorer

looslib said:
Switching kernels in a CAD system is not new.
So true.AFAIK SW was architected from the beginning to be kernel agnostic. HOWEVER, many features in SW of higher order than prismatic, analytic features depend on the kernel to provide the location of edges and surfaces for further computations. Those users who have done a lot of lofting, sweeps and surfacing know all too well how picking SW can sometimes be in finding an edge or surface. Tiny changes (>0.001 in) can sometimes have dramatic effects on results. Creators of swoopy stuff (plastic molding, castings, forgings, etc.) sometimes run into problems with legacy data between releases.

It is one thing to say software can be kernel agnostic for creating new models and an entirely different thing to say it CAN BE kernel agnostic for legacy data.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

Also important to note. SolidEdge switched kernels when they had maybe a few thousand seats, not a million! big difference.

Certified SolidWorks Professional

15 years ago they would only talk to my boss and had him convinced that anyone serious about doing MCAD was using Pro/E.

5 years ago they came in and did a presentation comparing Wildfire to other products at their technology state back in the 90s of the last century. My boss took the bait hook, line and sinker. We now have a bunch of Creo seats that nobody uses.

Autodesk also switched kernels (ACIS to ASM)when they had a few thousand seats (plus maybe a few millions).
And just because they switched doesn't mean it was without impact. Has anyone here got any experience with Inventor from day one in order to speak to this? After all, look how many Inventor folks switch to SW. So just because a vendor changed doesn't mean it worked out well. See the Airbus article regarding CATIA.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

But AutoDesk wasn't strictly a switch. Just a change of developer on the same forked set of code.

Yes, PTC sales used to come over the top and tell the GM/President that unless his engineering department was using their sofwtare they were behind the times and losing the company money. PTC also used to tie in seat sales to a maintenance renewal to show that the customer base was expanding.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back