Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running 50hz on 60hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnumeng

Military
Nov 30, 2004
US
I have a drill press that I bought over in Europe, so it is 220/50. I have looked through many post here and have seen that if you go 60hz to 50hz you lose power.

If I go from 50hz to 60hz will it burn up my motor?

Thank you for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on what voltage you plan to connect it to, and how near to rating you want to load the motor. You state neither, so the answer based on the information you provided is 'maybe' you will burn up your motor.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

magnumeng

If you use 220VAC/60 Hz. you should be fine. the motor will run faster by about 20% and produce slightly more power.

The US 120VAC/60 Hz system is a Phase to neutral arrangement where as the European system for the most part is a duel phase system or what is called a single phase system (a misnomer in my most humble opinion). Not trying to muddy the water, but the two systems differs very little it design other than the Frequency and the US phase to Neutral application.

Anthony “Redmane” Milford

Redmane,

The European system - for once I will accept that the UK is in Europe, geographically if not politically - does not typically run a 'two-phase' system as you describe, at least not in northern Europe.

The majority of European systems are 400V/230V with 230V being the line-neutral voltage. Your humble opinion is, in this case, also in error.

There are huge differences between the NEC in the US, the BS7671 IEE Wiring Regulations in Britain, and whatever the rest of Europe uses. Even within Europe we can't agree. The electricity itself is similar, electrons being electrons everywhere, but it is untrue to claim that the US and European systems are broadly similar. In some respects they are poles apart.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

ScottyUK

You are most correct, I should have been more concise in my answer, and yes, my humble opinion was in error. Oh! Did not mean to insult the UK by lumping it together with continental Europe, please excuse my over generalization of the topic.

Anthony “Redmane” Milford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back