Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running a 3-phase induction motor on single phase 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vzylhj

Electrical
May 27, 2003
ZA
I know it is possible to wire up a 3-phase motor to run on single-phase using a capacitor in the motor circuit. Where must the capacitor be placed in the motor circuit and how do I determine the optimal size for the capacitor if all I know is the normal nameplate information for the motor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello everyone..I have an Austrian-made Wintersteiger ski tuner in my garage, aquired from a local ski shop. In simple terms, it is a very large wet-belt sander with and large motor and a water pump. A single ski is placed over a long sanding belt turning one direction while a rubber coated feed wheel moves it across the moving belt. The water pump feeds water with coolant onto the sanding belt. I need info on how to get it running. It is a 3-phase unit and I have 220 to it's location. The numbers on the motor are: 3 x 208 - 220v 50/60HZ. It is out of the question to have the power company do anything for me. I have seen converters advertised for $130 to $200 and wonder if that's the answer. I've been told that 3-phase power is needed just to start it and that once started, it uses less power. If I haven't supplied enough information, please let me know via this site or my email address. I posted this message under Industrial because there was no posting for Garage Mechanic. Thanks for help.....

I have somewhat of a problem, and I need some help. I'm an electrical engineer, but I don't deal with high power applications. I'm designing an electromagnetic stirrer to go on a cold plate for an anodization system. No one seems to sell anything like it with the cooling power I need, so I'm looking at doing it myself. The cooling unit is thermoelectric, and I'd like to have the specimen (a beaker with chemicals). I'd like to design a nice low-voltage 3phase induction motor, and use the magnetic stirring bar as the rotor inside the beaker. I was in doubt that this would work, since there's no shaft to keep the bar magnet in place, but since then I've found out that cole-parmer and a few others manurfacture these things and brag that there are no moving parts.

My problem is that I need to design either a single-phase induction motor, using a capacitor design much like you mentioned above to get the phase separation, or I could buy a converter from 1PH/DC/3PH to power the windings. Since the load is nothing more than 100-500mL of solution, the torque requirements are negligible. I'd like to make it variable speed also. Does anyone sell a drive like this? Does anyone have any good ideas on how I might convert the power?

Hunterpmc,
First off for future reference, you are likely to get better responses by posting a new inquiry and using the "thread number" at the top of the page as a reference to this as a related thread. End of lesson, on to your issue.

Many many VFD manufacturers make these. As a general rule, up to and including 3HP, VFDs are now designed to take a 1 phase input and give a 3 phase output. Most will take 230V 1 phase in and give you 230V 3 phase out. Some even allow you to give 115V 1 phase in, 230V 3 phase out. These are typically more limited in HP, but your application is not going to be a problem for any of them. Try and look at the ME-2 Series VFD. You can also look at AC Tech, KB Electronics, ABB, Saftronics, countless others too numerous to mention.

"Venditori de oleum-vipera non vigere excordis populi"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back