Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running older versions of .bdf files on Nastran 2017? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisGeorgiev93

Nov 1, 2015
GB
Dear all,

1) I would like to ask whether anyone has ever had problems in running .bdf files, created in Patran 2016 or older versions, on Nastran 2017?
Basically, if one works with the most recent version of software, does that impose any limitations in terms of working with files that are created in older versions?

2) Finally, a question related to the database (.db) file. When I open Patran and set a new database, the default working directory is C:\Windows\temp ( or on other PCs it is C:\Users\Documents ). In short, is it a problem to save the .db file ( together with any other analysis files like .f06,.xdb etc. ) at any other place on the hard disc. Or Patran/Nastran really requires the user to work in C:\Windows\temp or in C:\Users\Documents.

Really hope that anyone can shed some light on that matter!

Many thanks in advance!

Boris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I spoke to a colleague of mine who had a similar experience in Patran v2017.0.1 where the PCOMP thickness were scaled by a factor of 1000 when writing a nastran deck!

What I've been told is that this is a major bug in v2017.0.1 due to which MSC has pulled back the software. MSC claims that the bugs will be fixed in Patran 2017.0.2 but no official release date for v2017.0.2 has been confirmed.

If I were you I would use an older version of Patran which works!

^^Thanks for the feedback. We have reverted to an older version of Patran. Glad to know that MSC is aware of the issue. MSC did a "beta" run for almost 3+ months and still it came out with a major bug! Hopefully, MSC doesn't take another few months to fix the issue.

Well... the press release on the MSC site has gone silent. I suggest you get in touch with your local MSC tech rep to find out what's going on.

^^Yep...unfortunately Patran isn't receiving a whole lot of love from MSC. I guess after the acquisition of MSC, a lot of restructuring may have happened. MSC is placing a lot more of emphasis on Adams, their new CFD product Cradle. Shame that they put out a buggy version of Patran and no ETA details on when an updated/fixed version will be released. Major negative PR points!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back