Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running round stock through oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byucougar

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2007
US
I run round stock in various diameters going through the oven horizontally rolling down being pushed by a chain conveyor with peridic ss rods that stick up into the furnace and when then rolling stock runs over it, it depreeses the rod and activates the switch. That is way it is suppose to work but due to high temerature - 1500 F, sometimes it doesn't work - anyone have any experience with anything else?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I could do non contact but will it handle th temperature?

Possibly. It would depend upon useful sensing distance. Hall effect sensors have a rather short range whereas some optical/machine vision systems would have longer range but may loose precision due to atmospheric distortion within the oven. Another possiblitity (though expensive) is to actively cool the sensor/detector to keep it within an acceptable thermal range. We did this when I worked on semiconductor processing equipment but then again we had ready access to a chiller and coolant as a standard part of the system.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back