Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Running VB.NET executable on system without MS Framework

Status
Not open for further replies.

coder86

Computer
Mar 18, 2005
DE
I'm having doubts about migrating to VB.NET or not.

It seems that everything I compile under VB.NET requires Microsoft Framework to be installed on a target system. What's more, there is some kind of incompatibility issue between different Framework versions: VB.NET 2003 executables don't run if Framework is from VB.NET 2002.

Is there a way to include the required part of the Framework directly into the executable file, so that users will not require to download and install Framework for my applications to run?

The size of the latest Framework 1.1 makes me really sick :(

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I was looking into migrating to VB.Net a couple years ago, I had found out it is possilbe to include the .Net framework into the application installation package. Of course the installation package then jumped around 30Mb or so.

I'm still looking into migrating...

Pat

The .NET Bootstrapper component will modify you installation files to include whichever version of the Framework is required. Yes, it does make the installation files large, but I find it is worth it in some cases. What I would recommend is that you provide two installation files, one with and one without the Framework.

Evan T. Basalik, MCSD
--------------------------------
It's all about prioritization...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back