Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running wet tranformer dry

Status
Not open for further replies.

judylev

Electrical
Jan 10, 2009
PE
I have a 30kw 3ph 440volt compressor and a 10,000 volt line. I want to install a 100 KVA transformer that I own but I can't get the 50 gallons of oil up to the remote site in the same truckload so we will have to wait a month for another delivery.

Can I run this transformer dry with intermittent 30% loads without oil?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

edison123,

purely an indication of the oil changing colour to the next level. Belive it or not i have actually been challenged on the fact that the oil was not exactly the correct colour to warrant concern.

Its interesting that the colour chart is almost the same one given to workers in the desert for them to match the colour of their urine as a check on dehydration.!!!!

I have never seen a oil filled 100 KVA transformer supplied dry. Given the moisture issue that arise just with extended storage with the proper oil in the transformer, The "dry" transformer may be scrap already.
judylev:
I suspect that there is some history associated with this transformer that may have been withheld from you.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back