Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Runway beam BS 2853:1957

Status
Not open for further replies.

volunteera

Structural
Aug 3, 2015
AZ
I am checking an existing runway beam to BS 2853:1957. However I can not find horizontal load requirement in the standard. Where I live we apply 10% of the load horizontally to the beam. Is not there any horizontal loading requirements in BS 2853:1957?

In BS EN 1991‐3-2006 there is a 5% requirement but I am not sure if BS 2853 allowes to refer to BS EN 1991‐3??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I fit's powered but does not exceed 10 ft/min in the lift and trolley speeds of 50 ft/min, it can be classed as similar to a hand operated machine which throws you back to the 10%. Although that's the load factor for the static wheel loads, it does mention that this takes care of the dynamic effects. Like yourself, I can't find any separate values for generating a horizontal load.

I don't know about BS, but ASCE 7-10 would use between 0-25% vertical impact load, 20% transverse to the beam, and 10% longitudinal (traction) to the beam.

volunteera,

In BS2573-1 Typical values for crane loads:

For vertical wheel loads:
1) Dynamic Factor with crane stationary = 1.30 (applied to lifted load only)
2) Dynamic Factor with crane moving = 1.25 (applied to lifted load, Crab weight and Girder)

For Horizontal wheel loads

For transverse surge wheel load(perpendicular to runway)
3) 10% of (Crab weight + SWL)
For longitudinal braking load(parallel to runway)
4) 5% of Static Wheel Load

As per Eurocode, attached worked example for crane design might be of help for you. It illustrates how to calculate the loadings and design a runway beam according to eurocode EN 1993-6.

neukcm

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=416919d5-bea8-4621-8c27-9e7ce62a8394&file=WORKED.EXAMPLE.CRANE.DESIGN.pdf
Gents,
Thanks for the responses. I've been particularly asked to work with BS 2853:1957 because the original design was done in reference with this standard.

neukcm,
I'll check BS2853 to see if I can refer to BS2573-1 which I am not very hopeful with. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back